Tuesday, October 21, 2014

TWD: Puff Pastry Pizzettes

Tuesdays with Dorie baking through Baking with Julia
by Dorie Greenspan
Contributing Baker: Michel Richard


Have you ever had bits of puff pastry dough left over from a recipe and did not know what to do with the scraps? So you either tossed it (gasp!), or thrown it in the freezer, where it ends up banished to the back not to be found for months, or maybe even years later? Well, we have a solution for you.

October was "puff month" for us TWD bakers - and this week's recipe uses those scraps that we had left over from the sunny-side-up pastries we made two weeks ago.

These are so uber easy to make, you may not want to wait till you have scraps. You may just want to go out and get yourself a fresh box right away!



There's really no "recipe" to make these. You just take your leftover scraps, roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch and cut out circles to the size of your liking. Add your favorite topping and bake in a 350° oven for about fifteen minutes, until puffed and golden. You do want to make sure to press the toppings into the dough a bit, so they do not slide off when the dough puffs up. 

I topped a few with tomato and blue cheese, some with sautéed mushrooms, and the others with tomato, and just a sprinkling of salt and pepper.


Out of the three, the tomato with just a dash of salt and pepper was my favorite. I took some to my sister, and she enjoyed the other two flavors (I ate all of the tomato with s&p).

You can also go with a sweet version if you like - like a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar, jam, or berries, the options are limited only to your imagination.

As usual, do check out what my fellow bakers have come up with. You will find their links on the TWD website, under the LYL: Puff Pastry Pizzettes link.


12 comments:

  1. Yup. Dilemma solved.
    We won't even talk about those freezer orphans...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great way to use leftover pastry, I love it. Not sure which would be my favorite, it would be a hard choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why these little servings are so great - you can have one of every kind! ;)

      Delete
  3. I love all of your ideas Cathy. How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been such a slacker with this group lately! I'm involved with a bread baking group that posts on one of the Tuesdays and that always messes me up. Hoping to get back in the swing soon...these pizzettes look tasty and so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they are, Liz. I have seen that you have been quite busy! Everything you make always looks so wonderfully delicious.

      Delete
  5. I love using little bits and pieces of leftover pastry dough for such things,,, when it is pie dough, I make homemade pop tarts! With puff pastry, little stuffed hors d'œuvres. I like the pizzette idea a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, these would be perfect for appetizers or lunch!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.