Wednesday, March 23, 2011

One for Summer....a must have!

Recipe: Orange and Fennel Salad

I had some leftover fennel from my last post and did not want to waste it (my mother-in-law would be so proud!) I did a quick search and found this super easy recipe.

This is one you will want to have for your next summer barbeque or tailgate party!  I would say you can prepare this a few hours ahead to give the flavors time to fuse together. The salad was still very good and crunchy the next morning, however the colors were not as vibrant.

This is the first time for me using fennel, for my family is not fond of licorice flavor, (though black licorice is one of my favorites!) so I have always passed on recipes calling for this herb. If you are one to shy away from this as well, I strongly recommend you don't! It is very mild, and when mixed with the oranges and cranberries you really do not notice any licorice like flavor; just a wonderful freshness and crunch.

Success meter (1-3): 3+






Orange and Fennel Salad
Serves: 4

Ingredients
  • 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 2 medium oranges, peeled (I used 3 oranges)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons sweetened dried cranberries
Directions
Place the sliced fennel in a salad bowl. Slice oranges to divide flesh sections and add to bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper. Toss, top with sweetened cranberries and serve.

Robin Miller, all rights reserved
Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.