Tuesday, April 14, 2015

TWD | Baking Chez Moi | Limoncello Cupcakes

Tuesdays with Dorie baking through Baking Chez Moi
by Dorie Greenspan


 

I was so excited to see the recipe I nominated was chosen. Love, love, love, all things lemon!


The cupcake batter consists of flour, baking powder, cardamom (love cardamom! though I did not detect it at all in the finished product), salt, sugar, lemon zest, yogurt, eggs, limoncello and oil. A small amount of batter is placed in the cupcake liner, then topped with a teaspoon of (optional) lemon marmalade, then covered with the additional batter.

All I could find was orange, lime, or a blended marmalade. I was going to use lemon curd in place of the marmalade, but I could not stop thinking of the marmalade blend, that was made up of orange, lemon, and grapefruit, so I went with that.

The baked cupcake is then brushed with a limoncello/simple syrup mixture while the cakes are still warm; I poked a few holes in the top of each cupcake to allow the syrup to really seep into the cakes.

The frosting is made up of butter, powdered sugar, limoncello, and lemon juice.


These really need a prettier cupcake liner. I have whole box of pretty wrappers that my daughter gifted to me; but I was rushed, and didn't even think about it, until I pulled them out of the oven. Grrr.

I so wished I went with the lemon curd filling... the marmalade was too bitter for my liking. I was also surprised, between the lemon zest, lemon juice, and limoncello, that these did not have a stronger lemon flavor.

This seems to be an issue with my quest for the perfect lemon cupcake. I want a lemon cupcake that makes you pucker up, literally; I want that intense lemon flavor, you know, the one that sends you to the moon and back.

Still searching for the ultimate lemon cupcake...

If you have such a recipe in your repertoire, please leave a link in the comments below! I would be forever grateful! :)


We have been asked not to post the recipes here on our blogs. You can find the recipe on page 194 of Baking Chez Moi.

Do check out my fellow bakers results, by clicking here for a list of their links.



20 comments:

  1. I love that you put a piece of lemon on top of the cupcakes -- totally finishes it! And makes it extra pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. I have to give credit to Patty of Patty's Food, for the lemon garnish idea. I was going to place a twisted half lemon slice on top, until I saw Patty's picture. Thanks, Patty!

      Delete
  2. Your cupcakes look great, love the littel lemon on top. I was also expecting more lemon taste. Maybe if I only use lemon juice instead of the limoncello?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. I'm thinking I may have to resort to using lemon extract to get the flavor I'm looking for - thought I prefer to use ingredients in their natural state when I can.

      Delete
  3. Lemon curd was a terrific idea! And yours are garnished perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cupcakes are very elegant - I love the lemon decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea using lemon curd in the middle! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your lemon wedge toppers-so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you find that perfect lemon cake, please share! I am totally on team lemon :-)
    These came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cupcakes! I'd also love to find the perfect lemon cupcake recipe. Your marmalade actually sounds fabulous but I do agree that lemon curd filling would have been delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These did have a subtle lemon flavor. Good luck on your quest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh your pictures are fantastic!! I love the little lemon wedge on top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful, I love all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those little lemon slices on top of your swirl! It made me think of summer time...:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am with you, Cathleen - I want LEMON! When you find the perfect recipe, I will want to see it here! Your cupcakes, however, are really gorgeous and the photos are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. regardless of the liner, they look awesome (and pro-decorated)! I do hope you find your ideal lemon cake one day soon...you can share it here with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone here loved these and thought they tasted great with the lemon flavor. I only used lemon juice and zest, no alcohol. Your cupcakes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I had the perfect lemon cupcake! I love your little cupcake stand! Lemon marmalade is very bitter, so not finding it shouldn't make much of a difference. Lemon curd is much sweeter. Congrats on your nominee getting chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cathleen, the best looking cupcakes I have seen in a very long time, dear friend - beautiful perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.