Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wok Wednesdays | Cantonese-Style Stir-Fried Pork with Chinese Broccoli

WW wokking through Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge
by Grace Young




Let me start off by saying, this was CRAZY good!!


Bowl 1: Ginger, garlic
Bowl 2: Pork, cornstarch, soy sauce, dry sherry, garlic, canola oil, oyster sauce, sesame oil, s&p
Bowl 3: Water chestnuts, bell pepper, snow peas, straw mushrooms
Bowl 4: Chicken broth, dark soy sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce
Bowl 5: Chicken broth, sesame oil, cornstarch
Bowl 6: Chinese broccoli


I have found a new favorite vegetable in Chinese broccoli (gai-lan or kai-lan is the Cantonese name for this vegetable). It looks more like giant spinach than it does western broccoli, that has little flower heads in the center. I loved the texture of the leaves, with the slight taste of "regular" broccoli.


If you make this dish, and are unable to find the Chinese broccoli, feel free to use regular broccoli, it will still be delicious. 


I had never heard of straw mushrooms before. They get their name from the way they are grown - on paddy rice straw. I thought I might have a hard time finding them. Not only did I easily find them at my Asian grocer, but I also saw them at my regular grocery store later that day.

They come labeled as peeled or unpeeled; I used the peeled mushrooms. I did a Google search as to what exactly you are to peel from a mushroom. It has nothing to do with peeling the skin like an apple say, but whether the "veil" has opened or not, exposing the gills. A closed cap is considered unpeeled, an open cap where you can see the gills, is peeled. I also read that the unpeeled are more nutritious and flavorful.


The flavor of this dish was beyond fabulous. Andy said to put this recipe on the A+ list - it's super good.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I made it. It's going to make a repeat appearance here for sure; and if I serve it to company, I'll plate it a little differently. I'll cut the stems and stir them in with the stir-fry and place the leaves in a circular pattern around the plate with the pork mixture in the middle.


We have been asked not to post the recipes here on our blog. If you would like the recipe, you will find it on page 77, of  Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge, which you can purchase at your local bookstore or find it at your local library. I highly recommend purchasing the book - you won't be disappointed.  

This recipe is on Grace's website, along with several of the other delicious recipes we have prepared. 

Wok Wednesdays is an online cooking group. If you would like information about joining us, click here, or visit us on Facebook. Would love for you to wok along with us!






3 comments:

  1. I love your explanation of the ingredients, especially the mushrooms. I can't remember if mine were peeled or unpeeled, but they were big and without stems. I love your idea of of cutting up the stems too. Beautiful photo Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the straw mushrooms canned? I have seen them that way, but never fresh. Also, do you think the Chinese broccoli is similar in taste to cima di rape? It is the Italian version but it is pretty bitter. I am wondering if the Chinese might be sweeter like regular broccoli... This does look great, and I love how cornstarch can make for an amazing sauce in stir fries! David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, yes the mushrooms are canned. I have never had rapini. Searching Chinese broccoli, I read that it has a slight bitterness compared to western broccoil, but I did not detect any bitterness at all. This does have the taste of regular broccoli, just not as strong. It is a new favorite for me - delicious. If you can find it, give it a try! For this dish, the broccoli was only blanched till the stems were crisp-tender - wasn't stir-fried. Just used as a bed for the pork mixture.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.