Monday, March 28, 2011

Book Twenty-Three: Food to Live By

by Myra Goodman


                            California Waldorf Salad

 
This is one of my all-time favorite salads. Do not let the title fool you - erase the memory of mayo covered fruit and marshmallows! This is made with fresh spinach and a yogurt/mayo dressing flavored with curry. You won't be sorry if you try this one!

A friend made the best granola from this book, and me, being unable to wait for her to get me the recipe (it took awhile) I went to my local book store and purchased the book myself, and happy that I did. I had another favorite book that I would buy everyone for Christmas and planned to give to my daughter once she had her own place, and she has asked for this book instead.

I have a handful of cookbooks that I cook out of repetitively; this being one of them. I feel as though I'm cheating, blogging on not only a book I have cooked from, but a recipe I have made so often that the page has detached itself from the binding. (Yes, you would think I would not need to read the recipe again - but I do not retain information very well, or for very long!) Today, being the first day that we have had sun in a long time, I wanted to celebrate this beautiful day with a fresh and healthy salad.

 
Success meter (1-3): 3+











A very sad picture indeed....does not do the salad justice.
(all the goods are at the bottom)


California Waldorf Salad
Serves 4 as a side salad

1/3  cup plain nonfat yogurt or sour cream
1/3  cup mayonnaise
1 tsp grated lime zest
1 Tbl fresh lime juice
2 tsp curry powder
½ tsp honey or sugar
1 unpeeled apple, cut into ½ inch dice (1 cup) ( Use a crisp apple such as Honey Crisp)
½ cup sliced celery (use the freshest of celery; it will make a difference)
½ cup raisins (I use Sun-Maid Jumbo Mixed Raisins)
¾ cup seedless grapes, cut in half
½ cup pecans or walnuts, toasted
5 oz baby spinach or mixed greens, carefully rinsed and dried, if needed

1.    Place the yogurt, mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, curry powder, and honey in a small glass, ceramic, or wooden bowl and whisk to combine.

2.    Place the apple, celery, raisins, grapes, and nuts in a large bowl. Add about half of the yogurt dressing and stir to combine. Just before serving, add the spinach and toss to combine. If the salad is too dry add more dressing. Any leftover dressing can be refrigerated, cover3ec for up to 1 week. It’s good in chicken salad or as a dip for broccoli florets or apple slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.