Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wok Wednesdays | Stir-Fried Aromatic Potatoes

WW wokking through Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge
by Grace Young




These may look like French fries, but they are way better, and better for you!

 Mise en place.

Bowl 1: Garlic, ginger
Bowl 2: Potatoes
Bowl 3: Scallions
Bowl 4: Rice vinegar
Bowl 5: Salt, white pepper


The unexpected garnish! As I was shredding my scallions, this piece rolled away from me and curled up so beautifully. Couldn't have done better if I tried. ;)

These tasty morsels are made from new potatoes, rather than russets, which give them a soft, buttery like texture. They are stir-fried along with minced garlic and ginger until the potatoes are just crisp-tender, then the scallions and rice vinegar are added at the end, with a sprinkling of salt and pepper, and given a quick toss to mix everything together.


It's amazing that, that little splash of vinegar lends so much flavor to the potatoes. I really think it is the key indredient to this dish.


I was on the fence about cooking these just a little longer, for they were just shy of being al dente. But I did not want to overcook them either, for Grace mentions that they can turn mushy and fall apart if you do. So I erred on the side of caution, and left them with a bit more bite than I'm sure they were supposed to have.

Aside from just being a tad undercooked - these were delicious, and would make a wonderful side-dish to any meal.


We have been asked not to post the recipes here on our blog. If you would like the recipe, you will find it on page 210, of  Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge (and just so happens to be available on Google books), which you can purchase at your local bookstore or find it at your local library. I highly recommend purchasing the book - you won't be disappointed.  

Wok Wednesdays is an online cooking group. If you would like information about joining us, click here, or visit us on Facebook. Would love for you to wok along with us!






3 comments:

  1. I love your "flower!" I, of course, minced my scallions instead of shredding them because I need to pay more attention!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "flower!" I, of course, minced my scallions instead of shredding them because I need to pay more attention!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathleen - these look amazing, and I love the scallion garnish - reminds me of fireworks on the 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.