Friday, February 6, 2015

Book 118 | Taste: Recipes for Entertaining | Cheese Grits with Shrimp and Mushrooms

by Williams-Sonoma




This most delicious meal is comprised of stone-ground grits, cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, butter, hot sauce, bacon, shrimp, mushrooms, garlic, lemon, and scallions.


The cheeses, butter, salt, and hot sauce (I used Hunan Red Chili Sauce) are stirred into cooked grits, and while the grits were cooking, the topping of bacon, shrimp, and mushrooms is prepared.

According to the recipe, the grits should take about thirty-five to forty minutes to cook. Only, my grits were done in ten minutes!

That threw me into a whirlwind. I quickly had to shred the cheeses (for the grits), make a garlic paste (chop & mash garlic w/salt), slice the mushrooms, and cook the bacon, flour the shrimp, and still prep the topping!



Whew! I don't think I have ever shredded, sliced, and sautéed so speedily before. Since I was in such a hurry, I did not take the extra time to remove the tails from the shrimp. I definitely would have preferred them without.

This was a great meal to sit down to after that crazy episode - so warm and comforting.



amazon


The (updated) recipe can be found at the Williams-Sonoma website; click here to be taken there directly.




2 comments:

  1. I love shrimp and grits and this sounds like a great version. I am always perplexed about bouton grits and polenta - recipes always give long cooking times, yet mine are done so quickly. Is it just that I don't know what they are supposed to be like? Maybe we will have this for supper tonight! ~ David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that I am not the only one this happens to! If you did make this, I hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.