Thursday, June 19, 2014

TWD: Phylloccine Ice Cream Sandwiches

Tuesdays with Dorie baking through Baking with Julia
by Dorie Greenspan
Contributing Baker: Gale Gand




Phylloccine [fee-loh-chee-ne]. No, it's not an actual word - and before I read the recipe, I was pronouncing it with a long I and soft C - sounded to me like some kind of additive or something - doesn't it?


It's actually a combination of the words phyllo and fettuccine. You know, like "Brangelina" for Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. The phyllo dough is cut into fettuccine size ribbons to be made into "nests".


This recipe was super easy! After the phyllo is formed into the nests, they are sprinkled with butter and sugar. Once the nests are baked, you top them with ice cream, brown sugar whipped cream (which I omitted), a "salad" made up of raspberry purée, mint and whole raspberries (I went with just a purée), and more fresh fruit, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar if you wish. 


I sprinkled the nests with demerara sugar. I think I would have liked regular sugar better.



With strawberries being super sweet and delicious, I had to make my favorite ice cream - Strawberry-Basil Ice Cream, by David Lebovitz. You can not go wrong with his ice cream recipes.


Originally I was going to go with a mixture of berries for this dessert. In the end, I decided on only strawberries and blueberries.


Looking at this photo, fanned strawberries on the plate would have been prettier..

That said, this would make a beautiful dessert for the Fourth of July, don't you think?

If you are thinking it's too much work, really, it's not. The nests can be made a day ahead, as well as the purée, use your favorite store bought ice cream, and you can always put out the components, and let your guests build their own. :)

This is such a versatile dessert - how about coconut ice cream?!! adorned with tropical fruits like mango, kiwi, papaya, and pineapple!

The options are endless, use whatever floats your boat. 




Surprise your family and friends with this elegant and easy dessert. You can find the recipe on page 405 of Baking with Julia, or by clicking here.  

For other inspiring ideas, check out my fellow baker's rendition of this recipe!


12 comments:

  1. Oh, how fancy! And your berries look super nice. I bet this was extra-special with the homemade ice cream. I didn't realize "phylloccine" was a "Brangelina" and was totally pronouncing it incorrectly, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun presentation!
    I totally pronouced the phylloccine the same way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kathleen…this looks beautiful and sounds lusciou! I haven’t been baking along with TWD lately, just too much to do! I love the way this presents! I think I may have to make it for Fourth of July…along with your wonderful strawberry basil ice cream. Your photos are gorgeous, as is your presentation! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! Let me know what you think of the ice cream if you make it. My sister and I love it!

      Delete
  4. Wow this looks simply beautiful - strawberry and basil ice cream is such a wonderful combination!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm bummed that I missed out on this recipe (and so many fun others!) during my unexpected hiatus. I have a lot of yummy catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures are amazing as always! The nests look perfect. I agree, this is a simple recipe, deceivingly so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I think we were all pronouncing it that way, till we put two and two together. Very simple recipe, if you have phyllo.....which I don't get here!!��. The taste is in the accompaniment and I love the thought of strawberry and basil ice cream. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully done!! I've been a slacker with TwD...hope to get back on track one of these weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can tell that you've had lots of fun making this recipe! How did you make that strawberry stay on top - I love it! The ice cream flavor sounds very interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strawberry is secured with a cocktail skewer. Not as long as the recipe calls for. I could only fit the one strawberry and a blueberry. Barely had any left to stick it into the ice cream. ;) The ice cream was the star of the show. I love this flavor combination.

      Delete
  10. Yum. Strawberry basil ice cream. I wish it was still strawberry season! I'm glad you explained the pronunciation of phyllocine, I didn't get it at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.