Saturday, June 14, 2014

WW: Singapore Noodles

Wok Wednesdays wokking through Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge
by Grace Young




This is the second recipe we have made that calls for "barbequed" pork (it is actually cooked in the oven, under the broiler). The pork is so friggin' good. The first time I made it, I cut the recipe in half and was so very sorry. This time around I tripled it - will have it the next evening for dinner, and freeze the rest for later.


 Mise en place.

Bowl 1: Ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes
Bowl 2: Shrimp
Bowl 3: Red bell pepper (recipe calls for green)
Bowl 4: Curry powder
Bowl 5: Chicken broth, soy sauce, dry sherry
Bowl 6: Rice stick noodles
Bowl 7: Salt, sugar, black pepper (recipe calls for white pepper)
Bowl 8: Barbequed pork
Bowl 9: Scallions

Don't let the number of bowls listed above scare you away, really, there is very little prep work. While the pork was broiling, I soaked the noodles (and roasted the asparagus at the same time I broiled the pork), minced the ginger and garlic, sliced the bell pepper and shredded the scallions (with this cool tool), and the rest was spices and condiments - no time at all, really.

Once the pork was done (it too is quick and easy to make - it just needs time to marinate overnight, and maybe twenty minutes under the broiler) it all went rather quickly - as stir-fries do.

This  would have been so much prettier (and even more tasty!) if I had not forgotten to add the shredded scallions! Dang!

Grace recommends using Madras curry powder. The label on my jar just reads "curry". Curry is a mixture of different spices - type and quality vary greatly. I read on one forum, "that there are as many curries as there are cooks." From what I could gather, Madras is on the spicier (heat) side. My jar listed cayenne pepper, so I used it. Between the curry and the red pepper flakes, this dish had the perfect balance of heat.


I really enjoyed this dish, it had good flavor, though I think I would have liked it even more with Chinese wheat noodles, rather than rice noodles - just a personal preference.

If you don't make anything else, at least make the barbequed pork - it is absolutely delicious! As I mentioned in an older post, this would make a great appetizer, sliced up and served with some spicy-hot mustard for dipping into.


I served the Singapore Noodles alongside the roasted asparagus and this tasty Tofanelli Zin. We were wine tasting in Calistoga, CA for our anniversary (28 years!) weekend, and the gentleman serving the wine gave us a (bullshit?) love story about the woman on the motorcycle - I could not find any articles backing up the story; not that this is why we bought the wine, we bought it for the label.. oh, and it tasted good too. :) I'm the same with cookbooks - a sucker for a beautiful cover.

In my search for the none-to-be-found love story, I did come across this interesting article on Tofanelli Vineyard.

Wok on my friends!


We are asked not to post the recipes here on our blog. If you would like the recipe, you will find it on page 274 & 285 of  Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge, which you can purchase at your local bookstore or find it at your local library. I highly recommend purchasing the book - you won't be disappointed. 

Wok Wednesdays is an online cooking group. If you would like information about joining us, click here, or visit us on Facebook. Would love for you to wok along with us!




4 comments:

  1. Cathleen, an absolutely stunning presentation with that lovely green asparagus - I would love to have a taste of this dish, it sounds utterly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! I have to say, the barbequed pork is the best part of this dish - love it!

      Delete
  2. Love the asparagus Cathy!!! The photo is soooo beautiful! The barbecued pork is soooo amazing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.