Tuesday, December 17, 2013

TWD: Gingersnaps

Tuesdays with Dorie baking through Baking with Julia
by Dorie Greenspan
Contributing Baker: David Blom




I was excited these cookies were picked for our second recipe for December for a few reasons:

1. I love gingersnaps.
2. They are cut-out cookies - who doesn't like making cut-out cookies?!
3. Uber easy!
4. A new cookie for the Christmas cookie tin. :)





 Before baking, you brush the cookies with a molasses glaze (equal parts of molasses and water).

 If only I had these cute cookie stencils.



The description for these cookies say they are mildly spiced - this is an understatement. I wish I had gone with my instinct to add more ginger and cinnamon to these. The only discernible flavor was the molasses. I like molasses - if they were called molasses cookies, the flavor would have been spot on.

These were not anything like I was expecting them to be. They were thin, tough, and chewy. I was hoping they would be similar to the Sweetzels brand that I buy - full of ginger flavor, with a hard, yet crunchy texture, perfect for dipping in a cup of coffee or tea.




I did have high hopes for these cookies. The dough was deliciously fragrant. And it took all but maybe 5 minutes to make the dough. I'm glad I refrained from making a double batch, for the end result was a disappointment.


If you want to give this recipe a try (maybe you'll have better luck than I did), you will find the recipe by clicking here, or it can be found on page 324 of Baking with Julia.

To see how my fellow bakers fared (I know a couple of them enjoyed this recipe), visit the Tuesdays with Dorie website and look for the LYL: Gingersnaps link.


9 comments:

steph- whisk/spoon said...

that's too bad. I liked these OK, but was glad that the small batch size also meant a small commitment.

CathyB said...

I doubled the spice in the dough, but didn't roll and bake them yet. I hope doubling the spice will make them better. I wonder if the molasses glaze made them chewy.

Liz Berg said...

Yeah, I'm glad this only made a small batch!

yummychunklet said...

Cute shapes!

Tomato Thymes said...

As always, your photos look wonderful.

oneclevermom said...

Love your cookie decorations! Not a winner for me either. No ginger and no snap. Phooey!

oven chaos said...

As much as I like watching David Blom make these, no matter the changes to the recipe, it is not a winner. I have been trying to find a recipe similar to Anna's Ginger Snaps without much success. Dorie's Speculoos from Around My French Table has been the closest so far. Lovely snow flake!

sunshine x 2 said...

We all had such high hopes! Beautiful looking cookies....

Chris Scheuer said...

Thanks for you honesty about the recipe. It is really intriguing with the molasses wash. They're so pretty!