Wednesday, August 8, 2012

WW: Classic Dry-Fried Pepper and Salt Shrimp

Wok Wednesdays cooking thru Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge
By Grace Young




Very few ingredients cooked in a flash!

I make shrimp fairly often but have always sautéed them in a fry pan over medium heat. What a difference it makes to stir-fry them over high heat in the wok. The shrimp turned out moist and succulent; so much so I kept looking to make sure they were indeed cooked through - and they were.

I made one deviation in regard to the ingredients. I used a serrano pepper in place of the jalapeño. For me, I could have used more than the one teaspoon the recipe called for. (I like my food spicy.) One other change I would make with this recipe as well as others is to use less oil for these were a tad on the oily side.

The shrimp has good flavor attributed to the Sichuan peppers. You really need to go get yourself some if you haven't tried them. They have a unique flavor that I just can't explain. They would make a great addition to your spice collection.

Success meter (1-3): 3


Rinsed in a salt water bath and dried before stir-frying.


So few ingredients:
Shrimp, ginger, garlic, serrano pepper, oil, and
a spice mixture made up of Sichuan peppercorns,
salt and sugar.







Check out Wok Wednesdays LYL link to see the results of my fellow wokkers!

You will not find the recipe here on my blog or within the Wok Wednesdays community. We encourage readers to go and purchase this book at their local independent bookstore or on-line.


8 comments:

  1. This looks like such a delicious meal! I love shrimp (we call them prawns in the UK.) I'll need to give this a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola, they are known as prawns here as well. Let me know what you think of this dish after you make it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous photos of the whole process! I can just smell the aroma from your wok all the way here. I didn't have the peppers so I used my regular ones. I must try what Grace suggested. Thanks for the blog-visit! Happy Wok Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathleen, the color of your shrimp is beautiful. And, yes, this is my go-to way to do shrimp from now on if possible. We can play around with the flavorings. I just love the technique. I really am going to have to purchase the Sichuan pepper, aren't I? I'm not into my tongue going all numb and tingly, however. You last picture, the entire dinner plate was beautiful. Did you serve any rice at all? It wasn't necessary, with a green salad, was it? Nice Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! No rice this time, just salad and bread. I am one of the few that does not get the numbing/tingling feeling from the peppercorns.

      Delete
  5. Oh, how quick and delish!! Can you believe I don't own a wok? I think it will go on my Xmas list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you gave this a 3! I like seeing how you grade the recipes. I too think it was great, and worthy of a 3. : ) I love the clarity of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good! Shrimp is probably my favorite food, followed by bread! I plan to try this. Wok Wednesday is such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.