Wednesday, August 22, 2012

WW: Chinese Jamaican Jerk Chicken Fried Rice

Wok Wednesdays cooking through Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge
by Grace Young




I have never had fried rice quite like this. The chicken replaced the pork and there was no egg whatsoever. The chicken was marinated in a Jamaican jerk sauce for several hours and roasted. The drippings from the chicken were added to the stir-fry which gave it wonderful flavor ~ and added fat ~ but don't skip this ~ we must all indulge once in a while.

Success meter (1-3): 3


Too lazy to go to the upscale market,
I went to our local chain grocery and
bought chicken thighs in place of
whole chicken legs.

Look at this wonderful jerk sauce!
The recipe called for dark soy sauce in addition to
regular soy sauce. I was unable to find the dark soy
sauce at any of the supermarkets or the Asian market.
Dark soy sauce is aged longer than regular. It is
sweeter and thicker. So I thought to add brown sugar
to the regular soy sauce; only to find that is one of
the ingredients in the recipe. So I opted to add
an extra tabelspoon of regular soy sauce and
call it day. I did check Amazon.com  and they
do have the dark soy sauce, but the shipping
is more than the product by one and a
half times. Forget that!


mmm... good.

I used brown rice, for that is what I had on hand.
The hubby said he would have liked this better
if it was made with the white rice.







You will not find the recipe here on my blog or within the Wok Wednesdays community. We encourage readers to go and purchase this book at their local independent bookstore or on-line.


Make sure to visit my co-wokkers to see their results on this stir-fry.
Look for the LYL link on the Wok Wednesdays page.



7 comments:

  1. This looks like a perfect cold weather meal - those spices would soon warm you up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos of this Wok Wednesday dish Jamaican Jerk Chicken Fried Rice look so appetizing! I can't stop looking at them. I like your idea of using chicken thighs. I would do the same, they have more meat. I'm late for this WW entry - but I have all the ingredients ready so I better get cooking! Thanks for sharing your WW experience :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. I'm a big fan of brown rice, but I can see how white might work with so many other flavors going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a big fan of chicken thighs, but that picture of the roasted chicken looks great. I love how similar all of our pics look when the recipe is finished. Makes me think I got it right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I see rice I will always want to check out the recipe. This looks like my kind of food:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing job!!! yummmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm....I was planning some Asian version of chicken for dinner tonight, but nothing as fabulous as your dish!!! I will save this idea for another time :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.