Friday, July 1, 2011

Book Forty-Three: Salad

by Williams-Sonoma


            Chicken, Avocado, and Mango Salad

I was pleasantly surprised with this salad. I did have my doubts, though not sure why. Maybe because I thought the hubby would not really care for it, or that my mango was not as ripe as I would have liked; or that I was too tired to cook let alone blog. But being that I found this recipe in a book that I have yet to post on I could not pass up the opportunity.

After our crazy downpour on Tuesday, it hit the mid to high nineties today - hence no cooking indoors! I usually leave the barbequing to my better half but I was not sure what time he would be home from work so I attempted to cook the chicken myself. I must say I did a fine job! The chicken turned out perfectly cooked and moist. I think this is like the second time at the bbq helm for me; my confidence just went up a notch!

Look out hon!

Success meter (1-3): 3







Chicken, Avocado, and Mango Salad
Serves 4

3 bone-in chicken breast halves, about 2 lb total weight
Salt & freshly ground pepper
5 Tbl fresh lime juice
1 Tbl peeled and minced fresh ginger
2 tsp grapeseed or other light oil
3 Tbl minced fresh cilantro, plus 1 cup whole leaves
4-5 rounded cups torn lettuce leaves such as red leaf, green leaf, or oak leaf, or a mixture
3 mangoes, peeled and sliced
2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and sliced
2 Tbl minced red onion, plus several thin slices

Preheat oven to 350°. Rub the chicken breasts with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ tsp pepper and place, skin side up, on a baking sheet. Roast until the skin is crisp and the meat is cooked through but still moist, 40-50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand until cool enough to handle, then remove the skin and discard. Cut the chicken meat from the bones and into bite-sized pieces, then set aside.

In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together 2 Tbl of the lime juice, the ginger, ¼ tsp salt, the oil, and 1 Tbl of the minced cilantro. Add the 1 cup whole cilantro leaves and the lettuce and mix well with the dressing.

Arrange the dressed greens on a platter and evenly distribute the mango slices over the top. Drizzle with 1 Tbl lime juice. Arrange the chicken over the top, and then the avocado slices. Drizzle the avocado with the remaining 2 Tbl lime juice. Sprinkle the remaining 2 Tbl minced cilantro and the red onion over the top. Serve immediately.

Salad/Williams-Sonoma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.