Monday, July 11, 2011

Book Forty-Four: The New Basics Cookbook

by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins

 

  Jalapeño Cheese Bites & Cheddar Chutney Bites

This is one of my favorite cookbooks; one I like so much that I give it as a gift every chance I get.

As I was making these cute little cheese balls, I was thinking that I have never made anything from this book that I did not like ~ until now. They were OK, just not what I was expecting. The scent of the cheese and jalapeño reminded me of the armadillo eggs (cheese stuffed jalapeños) that we get from Back Forty that are to die for. These just did not have enough bite to them and the chutney version to me was a bit bland, though my sister's friend seemed to enjoy them.

Success meter: (1-3): 2













Jalapeño Cheese Bites
12 to 14 hors d’oeuvres

2 fresh jalapeño peppers, cored, seeded, and minced
1 ½ cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 ½ cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
2 Tbl minced cilantro

Combine the jalapeños and cheeses in a mixing bowl, and blend well. Shape the mixture into rounded teaspoon-size balls, about ¾- inch in diameter, and roll them in the cilantro. Chill loosely covered, 2 to 3 hours before serving.

Cheddar Chutney Bites
24 hors d’oeuvres

3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
¼ cup mango chutney (pieces finely chopped)
¼ cup finely chopped pecans

Combine the cheese and chutney in a mixing bowl, and blend well. Shape the mixture into round teaspoon-size balls, about 3/4 –inch in diameter. Roll the balls in the chopped pecans. Cover and chill 2 to 3 hours before serving.

The New Basics Cookbook/Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.