Saturday, July 16, 2011

Book Forty-Six: The Trellis Cookbook ~ expanded edition

by Marcel DeSaulniers


               Marinated Chopped Tomatoes

I have three other books by Mr. De Saulniers (all on the baking spectrum) so when a friend asked if I wanted this book I jumped at the offer. I love how he has the book divided by course (salads, entrées, desserts, etc) and then each course by season.

I started making this at dinner time, and I cannot stress enough for you to read your recipe thoroughly before proceeding. I failed to read the last sentence: Cover with film and wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours! I'm sure this will be even better tomorrow.

The salsa has good flavor; however I would skip the skinning of the tomatoes, for submerging them in boiling water for the short 45 seconds seemed to diminish the firmness of the tomato and the overall look of the salsa. I do not mind the skin on personally and prefer fresh, raw tomatoes in my salsa.

Success meter (1-3): 2














Marinated Chopped Tomatoes
Yields 2 cups

1 small jalapeño pepper
3 tomatoes, cored
1 small red onion, diced fine
2 tsp red raspberry vinegar
¾ tsp freshly cracked black peppercorns
½ tsp salt

Char the jalapeño pepper over a gas flame, charcoal fire, or an electric range element until black.
When the pepper is thoroughly black, rinse under cold running water to remove its skin. Cut the rinsed pepper in half and remove the seeds. Finely mince and set aside.

Place the cored tomatoes in boiling water until the skin begins to come loose, about 45 seconds. Remove the tomatoes from the boiling water and plunge into ice water. When the tomatoes are cool, remove from the water. Peel, cut in half horizontally, seed, and cut into ¼-inch pieces.

In a stainless-steel bowl whisk together the raspberry vinegar, black pepper, and salt. Add the tomatoes, red onion, and jalapeño pepper and blend well. Cover with film wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours, or until ready to use.

Salsa will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

Recipe adapted from The Trellis Cookbook/Marcel DeSaulniers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.