Thursday, December 20, 2012

Stracciatella (Spinach & Egg Soup)

Recipe from The New Basics Cookbook
by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins


As you can see I did not use the photo of the finished soup as my main picture because you would have looked at it and passed this post right up!

I chose this recipe because it sounded interesting, not to mention easy, and would be quick to make; and who doesn't need quick during the holidays?!

Not the most enticing looking soup, but it wasn't half bad. Not sure if I will give this another try. Then again I may - it was quick and healthy, and some days I don't feel like making a real complex meal.

Success meter (1-3): 2



Chiffonade the spinach and place in large soup bowls.

Top the spinach with Parmesan-Reggiano and freshly ground pepper.

If I do try this again, I will add the spinach and cheese to the broth. It was a bit messy stirring the broth in the bowl itself. Also would use a little less cheese. The Parmesan was deffinitely the dominant flavor.

Bring the broth to a boil, remove from heat and add egg mixture, stirring constantly.
Looks great! IF I were making a custard - which I wasn't.

I brought the broth back to a boil to make sure the eggs were cooked, stirring constantly in hopes the egg would form ribbons - like they do when you order egg-drop soup from a Chinese restaurant.

No beautiful ribbons - just curds.

I told you it was not pretty - but really, it wasn't bad.

Actually as I sit here and type this, I'm thinking it would be worth a second try; even just for the sake of getting the egg to form ribbons instead of curds. Maybe I poured the egg in too fast, I was trying to take a picture of the egg being poured and forming ribbons (I had swirled the broth beforehand to keep the egg moving in a circular motion). Hmmm..
Stracciatella (Spinach & Egg Soup)
Serves 2

4 ounces fresh young spinach leaves, trimmed, well rinsed and dried
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
Freshly grated black pepper, to taste
1 egg
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 cups chicken broth
Salt, to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish

1.     Cut the spinach into chiffonade (very thin strips). Divide it between two large soup bowls, and sprinkle with the cheese and a grating of pepper.
2.     In a small bowl, beat the egg and lemon juice together.
3.     Heat the broth just to a boil, then remove it from the heat. Stir in the egg mixture until the broth is ribbony and slightly thickened. Ladle over the spinach, and stir just until wilted.
4.     Add salt, if needed, and serve immediately, with additional grated cheese on the side.


The New Basics Cookbook/Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins


4 comments:

  1. Stracciatella (Spinach & Egg Soup)? I think this is a must-try recipe. Love spinach (source of vitamin K) even for smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the final image is not appetizing. This makes me think of the German noodle dish, spaetzle, where you push the dough through a sieve to get long curd like pieces. But kudos to you for going back in time with this cookbook. I love the recipe from them for walnut mushroom bread. Can't remember which cookbook it is in, but boy is that good. Have you ever tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathleen, I think this recipe sounds wonderful and healthy! I would also like to take the opportunity one more time to whish you a very Merry Christmas and all the best for the upcoming year! It has been a real pleasure meeting you through your wonderful blog and receiving all your lovely and thoughful comments! Looking forward to many more great posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.