Tuesday, July 31, 2012

TWD: Blueberry-Nectarine Pie

Baking through Baking with Julia
by Dorie Greenspan
Recipe contributed by Leslie Mackie




I love blueberries! I like them so much I have them several times a week tossed over my morning oatmeal (why does that statement make me feel old?). I also enjoy just grabbing a handful to pop in my mouth for a midday snack.

This is my second blueberry pie I have made in as many months. The filling of the first pie I made was just blueberries; this recipe, as the title states, has the addition of nectarines. I found this filling to be too sweet for my liking. Not only was there more sugar in this recipe, but the nectarines added their own sweetness as well. If I were to make this again I would want to cut the sugar by at least a third to half, though I am not sure if that would have an effect on the thickening aspect.

I also prefer the other pie dough recipe for it used more butter and less shortening, plus the addition of lemon juice.

Leslie's instructions for lining the pie pan has you, for the top crust, placing the pie pan onto the dough and cutting it so it is about 1/2 inch larger than the pan. I find it easier to just place the dough over the filling and trim the excess with scissors. He also recommends to cool the pie for at least 30 minutes before slicing. I say cool the pie completely! After cutting into the pie and removing the slices, most of the filling oozed out - not a pretty picture. This I should have learned from the other pie I made.

I asked our daughter if she liked the pie and she said it was good - not good enough to eat the whole pie, though. As I mentioned earlier it was just too sweet for me; I ended up throwing half of the pie away.

Success meter (1-3): 1




Why does this always happen with me and stone fruit?
Cut and twist. Only the skin comes off.







I could have done without the butter.






↑  As I said, not a pretty picture.  


Helping the filling back into the crust.




Looking for the recipe? Our hosts of the week have it posted on their sites or you can always pick up your own copy of Baking with Julia.

Our wonderful hosts this week are: Hilary of Manchego’s Kitchen and Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake. Also check out all the other baker's creations here: Tuesdays with Dorie LYL post.








26 comments:

  1. Beautiful photography - I love the heart cut outs on top of your Blueberry-Nectarine Pie! It all looks very pretty! Too bad you did not get to use it all. We did not really mind the "runniness" of the filling so much but we ate some vanilla ice cream with it.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a shame your family didn't enjoy the pie. My family really did and would have it again. I found that letting my pie cool for longer kept it from being so runny! Who can resist warm pie though!

    Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We let our pie cool completely as well. With that sort of filling it is just necessary! 30 minutes is just crazy of the author to suggest! I added extra lemon to my pie, so it wasn't so sweet. A keeper for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the pie wasn't a hit. The little hearts were cute! I skipped the butter in the filling - I don't understand why it was there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color of you pics and the pie filling is gorgeous! It was a little sweet, but I guess pies always tend to be like that. Great job with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish it would've turned out better for you. The hearts are adorable and I just love your first photo with the fruit - I could eat the entire bowl right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a super sweet pie. However I think that is why I liked it ! :) I had issues with it being runny too. Your's looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't done this one yet, maybe I'll skip it completely. At least your hearts look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your method of helping the pie filling get back into the crust!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I changed out the flour for cornstarch and tapioca because, I always have problems with thickening when I use flour. Your pie looks lovely and I love the hearts you put on the crust!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same thing happened with me and the filling, it was still delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We skipped the butter in the filling, too, and didn't find the pie to be too runny - wonder if that made a difference? Your heart cut outs are so pretty. I'm sorry the pie didn't measure up for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos are fabulous and looks delicious, even if it wasn't your favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to agree with your daughter... good but not good enough to eat the whole pie. Thanks for sharing your blueberry pie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no... sorry you had to throw half the pie away. I left mine in the fridge and it miraculously finished.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your crust is so beautiful. I wish I could have done that. Sorry the pie was not a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, can't stand the thought of throwing away the pie .. but my was so runny that the second time around the crust was a soggy mess. We win some, we lose some! We eat oatmeal nearly everyday and love blueberries too! Each week I try and bake some oatmeal and it is delicious all through the week. http://praycookblog.com/2011/06/baked-oatmeal-a-healthy-surprise/ Maybe you will try this baked oatmeal recipe! Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pie - sorry you weren't thrilled. Very creative filling readjustment process :-)
    I eat oatmeal every morning (almost) for breakfast & I don't feel in my dotage at all (My 18 year old eats it all the time too, if that makes you feel any younger)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, no way would this pie set in an hour! LOVE the look of your crust...and giggling at the photo of getting the filling back into the crust :) Sorry it was too sweet for you...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos are gorgeous! I love how you tell the story through your pictures! I like how you reflect and consider your results. Kristine Mika

    ReplyDelete
  21. We loved the filling: I'll definitely "use" it again but I will cut down the sugar.
    I forgot the butter on the fruit and was happy to have... Kcal and fat saved!

    I love your pictures and was a pleasure to read through your post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great images. Like you,we feel there is generally too much sugar in pies. As a result, we always cut it at least in half and never use white sugar. Doing this, the recipe turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't like the shortening in the crust. Beatiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I used plums that were a bit on the sour side and I found the sugar quantity just right. Maybe your fruits were too sweet to begin with? O, it's so difficult to decide how to make the sugar-fruit re-adjustments...The top crust of your pie is to die for :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am sorry that you weren't thrilled with the pie, your pictures are beautiful! I like the hearts. Don't feel old, I eat blueberries on my oatmeal all the time (maybe that makes both of us old....naw).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.