Monday, June 11, 2012

We All Scream For...

COFFEE ICE CREAM!!!

From the book Baked Explorations
by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito

                                                                                   Coffee Ice Cream
                                                

This is good. Lick the plate clean good.

This is the third recipe I have made from this book - all outstanding! I love everything about this book from the cover, to the stories and tips inside and even the feel of the book; and of course the recipes. If you buy only one cookbook this year, this should be it.

I stole a wee taste as the mixture was cooling to room temperature and this is great from the get-go. Already it is smooth and creamy with a wonderful coffee flavor, tasting like I imagined the finished product would be, only cold. I think this would be good as is poured over strawberries and pound cake. It is going to be hard to wait for it to finish chilling so I can devour this lovely concoction. This coming from a person that is not real fond of ice cream; I prefer frozen yogurt, till now maybe. Coffee ice cream is my sister's favorite and I told her I would save her some - not sure there will be any to save.

I was tempted to add some grated dark chocolate to the ice cream, but after having that sweet taste I thought to leave well enough alone. Now that it sits in the freezer I'm wishing I had, just to add a bit of visual pop to the ice cream. Next time. There will be a next time.


Success meter (1-3): 3








Stir until dissolved.

Whisk your yolks just till combined.

Stir until the mixture "coats the back of a spoon".
This means you can run your finger through it and
the track remains - it does not close back up.






Cover room temperature mixture with plastic wrap.
Making sure that the wrap touches the mixture itself
to keep a skin from forming.

Chilled and ready to freeze!






 




What made me go to this book again is that I saw this recipe on a fellow bloggers website and for the life of me I cannot recall which one. I thought that I had bookmarked the page. Should you be reading this and have seen my comment on your ice cream post, please let me know so that I may link back to your site.

Coffee Ice Cream
Yield: 1 quart

6 egg yolks
1 ¾ cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
¾ cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
1 teaspoon salt (I used just a pinch)
3 tablespoons instant espresso powder (not ground espresso)
1 tablespoon Kahlúa

Put the egg yolks in a large heatproof bowl and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, stir together the heavy cream, milk, sugar, salt and instant espresso powder. Bring the mixture to a slow, consistent simmer (just this side of a boil) and remove from heat.

Whisk the egg yolks until just combined, then slowly stream in half of the hot coffee cream mixture while whisking constantly. Transfer the egg mixture back to the medium saucepan containing the other half of the coffee cream mixture. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 175 degrees on an instant-read thermometer).

Remove from heat and strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Whisk in the Kahlúa, and let mixture cool to room temperature.

Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the mixture to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 4 hours.

Pour into an ice cream machine and freeze, following the manufacturer’s directions.

Baked Explorations/Matt Lewis & Renato Poliafito

1 comment:

  1. I tried making ice cream the other day and it turned out horrible!!!! This ones looks perfect, what a shame I really hate coffee!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.