Friday, January 13, 2012

Book Sixty-Seven: Vegetables Every Day

by Jack Bishop


                      Shreddded Brussels Sprouts with
                     Balsamic Vinegar and Pine Nuts

This book is a must have for any inexperienced (or experienced) cook!

A good friend told me about this book that she had checked out at the library. Sight unseen I went on her word and not only bought myself a copy, but one for my daughter as well; who references this book after her trips to her local farmer's market.

I love that his book is alphabetical by vegetable name, rather than by recipe or course. The other wonderfuls (yes, I know that is not a word...) about this book is not only does it tell you what to look for when purchasing your vegetables, but other names they may go by: such as endive (Belgian endive, chicory, witloof), and the seasonal availability, storage, basic preparation, best cooking methods, and reference to other recipes in the book using this vegetable.

I recall one Thanksgiving, or it may have been Christmas, my sister-in-law made the best shredded Brussels sprouts. I was hoping that this would have been reminiscent of that; not even close. Andy thought this had a tad too much orange flavor, as for me - it was good, but not great.

I chose the variation of Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Orange Juice and Pecans. I substituted red onion for yellow for I wanted to use up the partial one I had in the fridge and used hazelnuts in place of pecans.

Success meter (1-3): 2










Shredded Brussels Sprouts with
Balsamic Vinegar and Pine Nuts
Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish


1 lb small Brussels sprouts
Salt
¼ cup pine nuts
3 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbl balsamic vinegar

1.      Bring several quarts of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.

2.      Meanwhile, trim and discard a layer or two of outer leaves from each Brussels sprout. Trim a thin slice from the stem end of each sprout. Add the trimmed sprouts and salt to taste to the boiling water. Cook until the sprouts are almost tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and cool. Cut the sprouts crosswise (not through the stem end) into thin strips.

3.      Place the nuts in a large skillet over medium heat. Toast, shaking the pan occasionally to turn the nuts, until they are golden brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a small plate.

4.      Briefly heat the oil in the empty skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the sprouts and salt to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts have browned slightly, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the vinegar and cook just until the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Stir in the nuts and adjust the seasonings. Serve immediately.


Variation: Shredded Brussels Sprouts with
                   Orange Juice and Pecans


Replace the pine nuts with an equal amount of pecans. Add 1 teaspoon grated orange zest with the garlic. Replace the vinegar with ¼ cup orange juice.



Vegetables Everyday/Jack Bishop


















2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through Baking in Spain. I too have a lot of cookbooks, although not nearly as many as you, and a few magazines. I have often thought about doing what you are doing on your blog, so it's a great inspiration. Although my husband and younger kid hate brussel sprouts, my older child and I love them. We sometimes make a shredded, braised recipe with a honey/mustard sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your recipe sounds delicious! Welcome to the blogging world Judy.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.