Thursday, January 19, 2012

Book Sixty-Nine: Weir Cooking In The City

by Joanne Weir


             Shrimp, Papaya, and Avocado Salad

The hubby had a business meeting this evening which means dinner for one! I was craving something healthy being that I have been eating so much rich food since the holidays and have not stopped; and I have joined an on-line baking group: Tuesdays with Dorie - check out the link at the top - you too can join!

I always sauté my shrimp (six minutes max), so I was a bit hesitant to simmer my shrimp in water and then leave it in the warm water for 30 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not overcooked. However it did not have any flavor, even after tossing it in the vinaigrette. Next time I would sauté as usual with a little olive oil &butter, toss it with a bit of salt and pepper, and a dash of thyme.

I found that I am not a big fan of papaya; this I'm sure would work just as well with mango.

Success meter (1-3): 2











Shrimp, Papaya, and Avocado Salad
Serves 6

1 ¼ lb large shrimp
1 medium papaya (about 1 ½ lbs)
2 avocados, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch slices
3 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbl chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbl fresh lime juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Whole fresh cilantro leaves as a garnish
Lime wedges as a garnish

Place 2 cups water in a frying pan and bring to a boil. Add the shrimp and simmer for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and let the shrimp sit in the water for 30 minutes. Peel the shrimp and discard the shells, Reserve the shrimp in a bowl.
With a paring knife, peel the papaya. Cut in half and remove the seeds. Cut the papaya into slices and place the slices on a serving platter in a single layer. Place the avocado slice on top of the papaya overlapping.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, chopped cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Combine half of the vinaigrette with the shrimp and place the shrimp on top of the papaya and avocado. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette onto the papaya and avocado. Garnish with the cilantro leaves and lime wedges and serve.

Wine Suggestion: Pino Gris or Chardonnay


Weir  Cooking In The City/Joanne Weir


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.