Monday, November 14, 2011

Book Fifty-Nine: The Professional Chef, 7th Edition

by The Culinary Institute of America


                Stewed Chickpeas with Tomato,
                      Zucchini, and Cilantro

Well... this turned out quite good being that I did not follow the recipe as instructed. I had even thought of not posting this as I was preparing it; but one bite changed my mind for it has a wonderful flavor. My husband thinks this would taste really good wrapped up in a tortilla.

The recipe calls for dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans), which I'm sure I have not seen at my local market -not that I have looked - so I used canned and proceeded to step 3 of the instructions. Tomato concassé (which are tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and diced) is also called for and again I reached for the can. I used petit diced canned tomatoes - drained, reserving the juice to add later.

The book states this makes 10 portions. I cut the recipe by half and served over brown rice. It made enough to serve the two of us. I'm assuming this was to be served as a side-dish; even then I think it would only make about 8 servings.

I may post again from this book. With a title like "The Professional Chef" and it being so big and heavy, I feel it deserves making something a bit more elaborate.

Success meter (1-3): 3





I added two Dragon Thai Chili Peppers.



Stewed Chickpeas with Tomato,
Zucchini, and Cilantro
Makes 10 portions

12 oz/340 g dry chickpeas
3qt/2.8 L chicken stock or water, as needed
1 fl oz/30 mL olive oil
¼ oz/7 g minced garlic
6 oz/170 g small-dice zucchini
4 oz/115 g tomato concassé
1 oz/30 g chopped cilantro
salt, as needed
pepper, as needed
fresh lime juice, as needed

1.       Sort the chickpeas and rinse well with cold water. Soak using the long or short method if desired. Drain soaked peas.
2.       Cook the chickpeas in plenty of stock or water until they are tender, about 30 minutes. Reserve about 1 pint/480 mL of the cooking liquid. Drain in a colander, rubbing gently to remove the skins (discard skins).
3.       Heat the olive oil in a sauteuse. Add the garlic and cook until an aroma rises.
4.       Add the zucchini and tomato concassé. Sauté the vegetables until the zucchini is tender and heated through, about 10 minutes.
5.       Add the chickpeas to the sauteuse, along with enough cooking liquid to keep them moist. Stew until heated through. Add the cilantro and adjust the seasoning with cilantro, salt, pepper, and lime juice to taste.



The Professional Chef/The Culinary Institute of America

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.