Friday, June 3, 2011

Book Thirty-Six: Popsicles and Other Fruity Frozen Treats

by  Sunil Vijayakar, Liz Franklin and Elsa Petersen-Schepelern


          Cranberry and Mango Bars (Popsicles)

It was a warm and sunny day when I ordered these popsicle molds. The weather has been less than perfect since I received them, but I can no longer wait and more rain is forecasted for the weekend. I'll just have to imagine it is summer (I can always turn up the heat!) while eating what I think will be a tasty treat.

On the second layer of cranberry juice I decided to add a few squirts of agave nectar to sweeten it up a bit. I used unsweetened cranberry juice as the recipe states, but I got to thinking that the unsweetened is extremely tart and really is an acquired taste and thought no one would care for them without the sweetener. On second thought if I left it out, there would be more for me!!

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I placed the sticks into the mold for I placed them too low, so there is not much to hold onto; not to mention it is not very pleasant to bite into the stick right off the bat. I am glad that I added the agave to the second pouring of cranberry juice; popsicles are meant to be sweet.

Success meter (1-3): 3


                                                             amazon                                                              





partially frozen cranberry juice















Cranberry and Mango Bars
Makes 6

9-oz fresh mango pieces
1 ½ cups unsweetened pure cranberry juice

6 freezer-proof rectangular molds, or other mold (the plastic liner tray from a box of cake slices or cookies works well)

Put the mango pieces in a blender and whizz until puréed, adding a little water if necessary, to achieve the consistency of light cream.

Half-fill each mold with the cranberry juice. Transfer to the freezer for about 30 minutes (on a plate or cookie sheet if your mold is a little flimsy), until part-frozen.

Remove from the freezer and top with a layer of the mango purée. Return to the freezer for a further 4-5 hours, until completely solid.

When ready to serve, dip the mold in hot water for a few seconds to loosen the ice bars and serve immediately.

Popsicles and Other Fruity Frozen Treats/Sunil Vijayakar, Liz Franklin and Elsa Petersen-Schepelern

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.