Friday, June 10, 2011

Book Thirty-Eight: How to Grill

by Steven Raichlen


                        Garlic Grilled Tomatoes

We finally have better weather; lots of sunshine and blue skies, though a bit windy. I am so ready to start the barbeque season I am not going to let a little wind (quite windy actually...) stop us!

I believe these have great potential...

I did not like the browned garlic flavor. Maybe I put too much on, I don't know. Even the hubby who likes just about anything I put in front of him said, "these are not my cup of tea honey" I'm thinking maybe I would like them more if I did not cook the garlic, just let the raw garlic marinate in the oil for a couple of hours to take on flavor; or brush on a simple vinaigrette, then top with the thyme and parmesan.

I know these could be better with a little tweaking, and of course with our very own home grown tomatoes which I am patiently waiting on:



I really wanted for these to be great. They would be perfect for company; so easy and absolutely beautiful!

Success meter (1-3): 2













Garlic Grilled Tomatoes
Serves 6

6 ripe red tomatoes
Coarse salt & black pepper
6 cloves garlic
3 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil
1 piece Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (1 to 2 ounces)
1 to 2 Tbl fresh thyme leaves

1.       Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise. Season with salt and pepper.
2.       Peel and pulverize the garlic (slice garlic clove into ¼ inch thick slices. Lay flat and pound them with the side of a knife.) Heat the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the pulverized garlic, and cook until just starting to turn golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour the garlic and oil into a heatproof bowl.
3.       Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. If using a gas grill, place wood chips, if desired, in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat until you see smoke.
4.       When ready to grill, brush and oil the grill grate. If using a charcoal grill, toss the wood chips, if desired, on the coals. Place the tomatoes cut-side down on the hot grate and grill until nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes, rotating them 45 degrees after 2 minutes to create an attractive crosshatch of grill marks. Turn the tomatoes with tongs, spoon the fried garlic over the tomatoes, and continue grilling until the bottoms are nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
5.       Transfer the tomatoes to plates or a platter. Grate the Parmigiano-Reggiano over the tomatoes and sprinkle them with the thyme. Serve at once.




How to Grill/Steven Raichlen






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.