Saturday, April 2, 2011

Pretty in Pink


       Homemade Rhubarb-Ginger Pop Tarts

I have not been able to stop thinking of these ever since I saw them on my favorite blog that I follow regularly.

This is not something you can make on a whim in hopes of having for breakfast that morning (like I did); not only does the dough need to chill before rolling out, the tarts need to freeze for two hours before baking. So if you want fresh warm tarts for your weekend morning, I recommend making them the day before or earlier in the week and popping them in the oven straight from the freezer the day you wish to devour them.  

I changed it up a bit with a filling of rhubarb-ginger jam, for I have been craving the wonderful rhubarb crisp from Chow; and also made them mini in size. Depending on what recipes you read, some suggest removing the strings from the rhubarb which I chose to do. I feel my crust was a little too thick. I would roll it out as thin as you can and add as much filling that will fit without oozing out the seams when pressed together. I was slightly disappointed with my choice of filling for it was not as tart as I would have liked, and the ginger came through as the prominent flavor, rather than the rhubarb. 

I'll have to try the original recipe of strawberry next time, for strawberry never seems to disappoint.


Success meter (1-3): 3


























Click here for the complete and original recipe.

Alternate filling:

Rhubarb-Ginger Jam
Makes 1 ½ cups

1 1-lb package frozen sliced rhubarb, unthawed ( I used fresh rhubarb and added 1/2 tsp water)
1 ¼ cups sugar
3 Tbl chopped crystallized ginger (about 1 oz)
1 tsp grated lemon peel

Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan, Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until jam thickens and mounds on spoon, stirring often to prevent scorching, about 20 minutes. Transfer to bowl. Cover; chill. (Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Keep chilled.)

Bon Appétit/July 1997
Recipe from Reading House innkeeper Rita Newell

NOTE:  For the pop-tart recipe I found this to be a bit thin to use for the filling, so I added cornstarch mixed with a bit of water to thicken. Also you may want to use less ginger for it turned out to be the more prominent flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.