Friday, April 29, 2011

Book Thirty-One: Cooking With Three Ingredients: Flavorful Food as Easy as 1,2,3

by Andrew Schloss



                Peking Chicken

Cooking for one tonight and I was hoping to scrounge something up to make without having to go to the store; but as our daughter can testify, I never have much in the house. I am one of those that go to the grocery store every day.

For sure I thought I would have some chicken in the freezer. I have everything but... So off to the store I went. Needed some kitty food anyway. 

Being that I was cooking for one, I chose to use chicken thighs in place of the whole chicken and cooked them for about thirty five minutes at 400°.

As simple as this dish is, and simple can be wonderful, this dish just did not do much for me. Next time (if there is a next time) I will add more Hoisin Sauce and some crushed red pepper. I do like my food spicy.

Success meter (1-3): 2













Peking Chicken
Serves 4

1 (4-pound) chicken, rinsed and dried, with giblets removed
½ cup honey
3 Tbl hoisin sauce

1.       Preheat the oven to 450°F. Carefully loosen the skin of the chicken by running tour fingers under the skin of the breast and legs, separating it gently from the meat underneath without tearing it. Rub the breast and leg meat underneath the skin with salt and pepper and season the inside cavity of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper.
2.       Place the chicken, breast-side down, on a rack set above a rimmed sheet pan or baking dish and roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
3.       Meanwhile, mix the honey with the hoisin sauce. After the chicken has been in the oven 20 minutes, brush a thin film of this mixture over the bottom of the chicken and roast for 10 minutes longer. Turn the chicken breast-side up. Brush with the honey mixture. Roast for another 30 minutes, basting with more honey mixture every 5 minutes, until it has all been used. Carve and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.