Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Book Seventy-Two: Barefoot Contessa Family Style

by Ina Garten


                        Penne with Five Cheeses

Another easy, breezy, (and oh so cheesy!!) recipe from Ina Garten.

I was cold and hungry while I was looking for something to make for dinner this evening and this sounded so warm and comforting. Certainly not on the healthy spectrum, but life is short so I indulge once in a while.

I used a couple of different cheeses than the ones listed in the recipe and this turned out fabulous. I also forgot to buy fresh basil and had to use dried. I could not bring myself to dot the top with butter before baking; it does not need it. I cannot imagine it adding anymore richness, only extra fat and calories. Why not cut out what you won't miss.

Success meter (1-3): 3










My sister always makes the best salads!



Penne with Five Cheeses
Serves 6

Kosher salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup crushed tomatoes in thick tomato puree
½ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano (1 ½ oz)
½ cup shredded imported Italian fontina (1 ½ oz)
¼ crumbled Italian Gorgonzola (1 ½ oz)
2 Tbl ricotta cheese
¼ lb fresh mozzarella, cubed
6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 lb imported penne rigate pasta
4 Tbl unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 500°F.

Bring 5 quarts of salted water to a boil in a stockpot.

Combine all the ingredients except the penne and butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.

Drop the penne into the boiling water and parboil for 4 minutes. Drain well in a colander and add to the ingredients in the mixing bowl, tossing to combine.

Divide the pasta mixture among 6 shallow ceramic gratin dishes (1 ½ to 2 cup capacity). Dot with the butter and bake until bubbly and brown on top, 7 to 10 minutes.


Barefoot Contessa Family Style/Ina Garten




1 comment:

  1. Mama! I love the picture that tells you what all the cheeses are! This looks aMAZing... save me some! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.