Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Wok Wednesdays | Stir-Fried Chicken with Black Bean Sauce

WW wokking through Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge
by Grace Young





The black bean sauce in this recipe is not made with your typical black beans (think Latin cuisine), but with fermented black beans (aka douchi or salted black beans) which are actually black soybeans that have been fermented and preserved in salt. You will find these beans at your local Chinese or Asian grocery. 

The beans have a musky scent, and an earthy, oaky, raisiny (without the sweetness) flavor, not to mention salty, which you can rinse the beans to remove some of the saltiness as we did for this recipe.

Mise en place.

Bowl 1:  Red onion, red pepper flakes
Bowl 2:  Chicken, cornstarch, dry sherry, soy sauce, salt
Bowl 3:  Carrots
Bowl 4:  Fermented black beans, garlic, ginger, dark soy sauce
Bowl 5:  Chicken broth, dry sherry
Bowl 6:  Salt
Bowl 7:  Scallion


As I was consuming this wonderful meal (I served this with jasmine rice and steamed zucchini), I thought how comforting this is. It's one you'll want to have in your repertoire, filed under comfort foods.  

Next time I make this, I'm going to toss in a few whole fermented beans as well, and up the red pepper flakes for I do like my food on the spicier side.

The recipe can be found here, but I highly recommend you get the book - the recipes are fabulous.



We have been asked not to post the recipes here on our blog. You will find the recipe on page 137 of  Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge, which you can purchase at your local bookstore or find it at your local library. 






6 comments:

  1. Cathy, Your posts always give me a big smile. The food photography is outstanding. Love the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely one to keep in the repertoire!! You did this stir fry proud!! Can I have your dish please?? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As did you, Karen! Isn't it beautiful? And I only have the one. I found this amongst my mother's things when she passed away. It was part of my great-grandmother's wedding pattern when she was married in 1904!

      Delete
  3. Another gorgeous meal, Cathleen! Someday, I want to see your cupboards - you have such beautiful dishes and serving pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can say the same of you David, only more so! And, thank you!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.