Friday, August 28, 2015

Wok Wednesdays | Stir-Fried Tofu with Pickled Ginger

WW wokking thru Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge
by Grace Young




Tofu. What is it? Basically, well actually, it is the curds of coagulated soy milk that have been pressed into an unappetizing looking block shape. It is low in calories, yet high in protein, iron, and calcium (depending on brand/type - read the label).

Those who are not vegetarians tend to shy away from it. After all, tofu is tasteless on its own. I've had tofu and thought, um, no thanks, I'll pass - other times, it was pretty good - as in this instance.  It's all in how it is prepared. So give it a chance - you may find it not as bad as you thought it to be (Bob/Patti).

Mise en place.

Bowl 1: Firm tofu
Bowl 2: Carrot, ginger
Bowl 3: Scallions, pickled ginger
Bowl 4: Dry sherry, soy sauce
Bowl 5: Salt, white pepper

Very simple dish to prepare. The tofu is cooked until it browns (mine may not look so brown, because the tasty - I'm sure - browned bits stuck something awful to my wok - not sure why), then removed, while the fresh ginger and carrots get a quick stir in the wok. The tofu is returned to the wok along with the pickled ginger and scallions and given a toss to mix everything together. In goes the broth mixture and seasonings, and stir-fried just until the carrots are crisp-tender. Three to four minutes, tops. Bam. Dinner is on the table. Gotta love stir-frying!



We had this with jasmine rice and steamed zucchini, and keeping with the ginger theme, I consumed it along with my favorite ginger beer.

  
Yes, there was a small amount left over, which I re-heated in the microwave the next day - still was tasty - the flavors being a little more pronounced even. 



We have been asked not to post the recipes here on our blog. If you would like the recipe, you will find it on page 203, of  Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge, which you can purchase at your local bookstore or find it at your local library. I highly recommend purchasing the book - you won't be disappointed.

This stir-fry just so happens to be available on the Orange County Register's website. Click here for the recipe.




6 comments:

  1. Good for you Cathy! As you were hesitant on the lobster, I've been kind of stalling on the tofu =) Your photo styling is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Karen! Thank you for be willing to venture into tofu land. I know you're not a fan so I'm doubly pleased it passed the test!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually love tofu - it is such a great carrier of flavor, and so good for you! This particular stir fry - with TWO kinds of ginger - is really appealing. As always, beautiful photos. I especially like the first one with the orange flower in the upper left. What is the flower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, the flower is Lions Tail (Leonotis Leonrurus). I've seen it on many of our hikes, and when I saw it at the nursery, I just had to get one. We just recently tore out our front lawn and went with a drought tolerant garden (California has been in a drought for several years).

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.