Tuesday, May 12, 2015

TWD | Baking Chez Moi | Nutella Buttons

Tuesdays with Dorie baking through Baking Chez Moi
by Dorie Greenspan



Nutella buttons. Mini Nutella filled cupcakes. 

I know, we just made filled cupcakes last month. However, these were chosen by popular vote.

These are made with a white cake batter (which Dorie has an interesting way of making, and too much work in my opinion), where a small amount is placed in the depressions of a mini muffin tin, then a dollop of Nutella is added, then topped with the remaining cake batter.

I swear I had mini tins...  no where to be found. I had to place the liners in a regular size muffin tin. Of course the batter stretched the cups outward and they appear to be full size cupcakes. Not nearly as cute - or bite size.


I chose to fill half with Nutella, and the other half with lemon curd.


According to the recipe, these can be served as is, or dipped in chocolate. I chose to make chocolate ganache and have a little piping fun. I even dipped one of the cakes in the melted ganache before piping more on top.

For the lemon curd filled cupcakes, I made a white chocolate ganache, which I over-heated; so suffice it to say, they did not turn out as expected; hence no photos.

I didn't care for these. The cake was too dense and dry. Even with the ganache, they were not worth the fat and calories. I ended up tossing them out. :(


We have been asked not to post the recipes here on our blogs. You can find the recipe on page 188 of Baking Chez Moi.

Do check out my fellow bakers results, by clicking here for a list of their links.


15 comments:

  1. They're absolutely gorgeous Cathleen! Such a shame you didn't care for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they certainly look amazing. I don't think we've ever thrown out chocolate in my house but I'm not sure I would make these again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos look beautiful! Was the ganache hard to pipe? And I love the idea of lemon curd and white chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Margaret, the ganache piped easily. After it had firmed up, I whipped it. And the flavor of the lemon curd and white chocolate did taste well together. :)

      Delete
  4. oh poo--that's too bad. and you took such care decorating them beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathleen, I don't think you did anything wrong. Mine were quite dense and muffin like too. They actually got better the next day, I think the moisture set in. Your piping skills are amazing. Good to know that you can pipe ganache, I have not done that before. Sorry to hear they went in the trash. I take my unwanted baked goods to work, they eat anything:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My, I love the piping! So pretty. Sadly I'm still afraid of the piping bag. How was the lemon curd ones besides the white chocolate part?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, yours are so pretty. The lemon curd is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathleen - I love yours! And, I need to take frosting lessons from you! (An upcoming post/book review will show my sorry skills in that arena...) I am also glad that you look at recipes and think, "Why did they make it more difficult that it needs to be?" I do that all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry your's didn't turn out. I had to throw a few of mine away because my spoon stuck to some of the papers and dumped all the batter into the tin :( Think next time I'm going to just spray the tin itself with baking spray - lot less work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They sure look beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was planning to make these tomorrow but I'm not too excited about it after reading your results. They looks very pretty but the taste is the most important part, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. my batter was pretty light and the cake seemed light too. Just that nothing in the flavour profile really popped for me. And they were a bit too fiddly for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have your mini muffin tins!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.