Friday, February 1, 2013

Cranberry Pecan [fig, cherry, & apricot] Granola

Recipe from Food to Live By
by Myra Goodman


In a recent post I promised I would share with you my favorite granola recipe ~ and here it is!

I was first introduced to this deliciousness by a friend of mine, and had asked her to send me the recipe. I do not recall how long I had waited, but being the impatient person I am, I ran down to the bookstore and purchased the book myself; and a great purchase it was!

Homemade granola is superior to any store-bought and is so very easy to make. Once you do make your own, you won't want to buy it again.

I have made Ina Garten's granola recipe and I like the idea of adding additional dried fruit, but I felt it was lacking something. Don't get me wrong - it's good. I just had this recipe to compare it to and I really liked the dimension the orange zest lends to the granola; and I prefer the addition of the brown sugar over sweetened coconut.

This round I have added dried figs, apricots, and cherries in addition to the lone cranberries called for in the recipe - it's good both ways. That is one of the pleasures of making your own, you can customize it to fit your individual tastes.

Yes, I did eventually receive the recipe from my friend. I think I had made this a couple of times by the time she sent it to me - it's that good.

Success meter (1-3):



Stir to combine.



Add wet ingredients.

Place on rimmed cookie sheet and bake.


Cool completely before adding dried fruit.

Once cooled, add cranberries and/or other dried fruits of your choosing.

I like to keep mine in the pantry alongside some Dixie cups..

.. for a quick scoop and go!

Makes for a great snack while hiking!

-->
Cranberry Pecan Granola
Makes about 8 cups

4 ½ (18oz.) cups old-fashioned oats (not instant)
1 ½ cups coarsely chopped pecans
½ cup shelled raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbl. Dried orange peel, or finely grated zest of 2 oranges
½ cup canola oil
¼ cup maple syrup, preferably Grade A Dark Amber
1 cup dried sweetened cranberries

1.     Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F.
2.     Place the oats, pecans, pumpkin seeds, brown sugar, and dried orange peel in a large bowl and stir to combine.
3.     Place the oil, maple syrup, and ½ cup of water in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour the oil mixture over the oat mixture and stir to combine.
4.     Spread the granola on a roughly 12 by 17-inch rimmed baking sheet. Bake the granola until it begins to brown, about 25 minutes, then stir it with a flat spatula. Let the granola continue to bake until it is golden brown, dry, and fragrant, 30 to 35 minutes longer. Stir the granola at least once more as it bakes and watch it carefully during the final minutes because it can burn easily.
5.     Place the baking sheet on a cooling rack and let the granola cool completely. Add the cranberries and stir to combine. Transfer the granola to an airtight container. It can be stored at room temperature for up to 1 month or frozen for up to 3 months.


Food to Live By/Myra Goodman

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! I'm sure the recipe is fine with just cranberrys as well, but your mixture sounds absolutely wonderful to a dried fruits and nuts addict like me.
    Best
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.