Friday, December 9, 2011

Book Sixty-Five: Cooking at the Academy

by California Culinary Academy


                   Sautéed Snapper Galician

No I was not a student at the Academy, though it has crossed my mind many times. This book is from the early nineties, and I'm assuming I ordered it off of the TV show of the same name. All the recipes in this book are pretty basic (too basic?) and simple; hence the disappointment with this recipe.

This sounded so good (and healthy) to me and the finished presentation looked wonderful. I was craving something healthy with eating so many rich foods due to the holidays; not to mention the donuts that seem to always be around the shop - and they are only one of my weaknesses. This dish did not even call for salt and pepper! I must say there were not enough herbs/spices in this dish to forgo these two seasonings (which I added) that I depend on too much, I know. Even Andy said when I asked if he liked it... “It looks good".

Unfortunately I will not be reaching for this book again. Thumbing through the pages I came across a note in the margin of another recipe that read just "ok". Too bad too - for the recipes are quite simple, for which I am becoming accustomed to.

Success meter (1-3): 1









Sautéed Snapper Galician
With Black Beans, Tomatoes & Olives
Serves: 4

1 medium onion, peeled
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 small tomatoes
24-30 pitted Spanish olives
4 boneless Snapper fillets (6oz ea), skin removed
4 Tbl Spanish paprika
4 Tbl olive oil
¼ cup fish stock (I used chicken stock)
2 cups black beans
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbl chopped parsley
Extra whole Spanish olives (optional)

1.       Cut the onion into small (1/4-inch) dice. Mince the garlic and chop the tomatoes into medium (1/2-inch) dice. Slice the olives in half.
2.       Dust one side of each snapper fillet with paprika.
3.       Heat the olive oil in a heavy, 10-inch sauté pan over moderate heat. When oil is hot, add the snapper, paprika-side-down, and sauté pan over moderate heat. When oil is hot, add the snapper, paprika-side-down, and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes per side (turning once) or until fish sets and is slightly springy to the touch.
4.       Remove from the pan and keep warm in the oven.
5.       Return pan to heat. When hot, add the onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes longer. Stir in the olives and tomatoes and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
6.       Take pan of the flame. Pour in the stock, return pan to moderate heat and deglaze for 1 to 2 minutes, loosening the cooked particles on the bottom.
7.       Stir in the beans, lemon juice and chopped parsley. Cook, stirring to combine, for 1 to 2 minutes longer or until heated through.
8.       To serve, spoon the bean/olive mixture onto a serving platter and arrange snapper fillets on top. Garnish with a few whole olives, if desired.


Cooking at the Academy/California Culinary Academy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.