Sunday, October 23, 2011

Book Fifty-Five: The Black Dog - Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook

by Joseph Hall & Elaine Sullivan


        Lemon Basil Chicken Piccata with Penne

I purchased this book because of the cover and I'm not sure how long I have had it on the shelf. I wish that I had pulled it off the shelf long ago. The recipe I chose was super, uber, easy!! I had dinner on the table in about an hour - this mind you included extra time for the photo shoot; not to mention absolutely delicious! I also found a yummy breakfast dish I want to try next. I really need something new in the breakfast arena. Our usual is oatmeal topped with brown sugar and fruit, egg on toast or boxed cereal - sorry to digress...

The chicken would be great on its own without the pasta, or served over a bed of leafy greens if you are watching your carb intake or just not a pasta fan in general. I served it over buttered Barilla Plus penne - a bit healthier than your regular pasta - so I hear. I have made chicken piccata in the past and it had called for butter, which this recipe does not; another plus! This I think would be good as well with a white fish, such as Tilapia for your vegetarian friends.

Success meter (1-3): 3








Lemon Basil Chicken Piccata with Penne
Serves 4

1 lb penne pasta
1 Tbl salt
2 chicken breasts, boned and skinned
¼ to ½ tsp salt
fresh ground black pepper
1 Tbl olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp chopped shallots
2 tsp lemon zest
2 to 3 Tbl fresh lemon juice
½ cup white wine
1 Tbl capers
1 Tbl chopped fresh basil
shaved Parmigiano Reggiano

1.       Bring six quarts of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt.
2.       Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Make sure they are not thicker than about ¾-inch.
Lightly pound if necessary. This ensures that the chicken will cook through in the time allotted.
3.       Add dried penne to boiling water and cook for approximately 10 mints or until al dente. Drain when cooked
4.       While pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed sauté pan until just smoking. Place chicken breasts in the hot pan.
5.       Sear on one side for about 2 to 3 minutes before turning. Then turn over and sear on the other side for about a minute or so.
6.       Now add the garlic and shallots to the pan and cook until slightly browned.
7.       Add the lemon zest, juice, capers, wine, and basil.
8.       Continue to sauté the seasoned chicken for another 3 to 4 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and all the liquid in the pan has reduced by half.
9.       Adjust seasoning and serve over penne. Garnish with shaved cheese.


The Black Dog-Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook/Hull & Sullivan

1 comment:

  1. Must stop now 3 hours is enough. Pat will be home soon. And now I must go to the store so I can make some of these yummy recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.