Friday, February 25, 2011

Book Fourteen: The San Francisco Chronicle Cookbook

Recipe: Fusilli with Mushrooms and Strong Greens


Sometimes the simplest of recipes are the best. I get caught up making the more complex recipes that I forget that something as simple as this recipe or a roast chicken with just salt and pepper is delightful! I was feeling guilty picking such a simple recipe to blog about but I was short on time. We had originally planned on going out tonight, and I changed my mind at the last minute.

For this recipe I used a combination of kale and mustard greens, for my local store (which I try to avoid like the plague) had slim pickin's and what they did have wasn't the greatest. Even my mushrooms were not to my liking, but being they were going to be cooked down and not thrown into a salad, I figured they would suffice. That is the problem with last minute shopping for me. Having to use the local store just over the hill; which I bitch about the whole time before I even arrive, and then days after. On the plus side....they have a wonderful wine selection!!









 It may sound strange to some, adding balsamic vinegar,
 but do not hesitate ~ it added an intensity to the dish.  





Fusilli with Mushrooms and Strong Greens
Serves 4

1 lb. collard, kale or mustard greens
¾ lb. fusilli (rotini or penne also are good)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbl. minced garlic
½ lb. mushrooms, sliced
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 ½ Tbl. balsamic vinegar
Salt to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Wash the greens, then trim and discard the tough stems. Coarsely chop the greens. Cook in boiling salted water until tender; drain.

Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente; drain.

While the pasta is cooking, heat 3 Tbl. of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is softened. Add the mushrooms and red pepper flakes and sauté until the mushrooms soften slightly. Add the greens, the pasta, vinegar and remaining olive oil (if desired); cook, stirring, until heated through. Season with salt.

Serve in warm shallow pasta bowls. Top with a generous amount of Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.