Wednesday, July 11, 2012

WW: Yin Yang Beans

Wokking through Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge
by Grace Young



Another wonderful recipe from Grace Young. I am constantly amazed at these simple recipes that have such wonderful flavor.

We are fortunate to have a small farm just a few blocks away where I was able to purchase the fresh green beans for this recipe and the best ever corn on the cob, which we look forward to every year. It is a small farm here in the middle of suburbia where they grow corn, squash, pumpkins, and a few other things like sunflowers and bring in additional produce from their larger farm in Brentwood about 30 miles away.

It felt funny to ask for only 1 oz. of ground pork; though the butcher graciously said no amount is too small. Wrapping up my tiny package and handing it to me he says, "it sorta feels like we're conducting a drug deal here..." with the wiggle of his brow and his eyes darting back and forth. It was the smallest package I have ever walked away with, not to mention the cheapest. A whole eighteen cents!

We enjoyed this side dish. My better half commented that the beans could have been cooked a bit longer. I have been working on him for years, and he is getting better at not wanting his vegetables cooked to a mush where they fall of your fork when you try to pick them up to eat. I like my vegetables on the crisp side with a softness to them and I agree they could have been blanched for up to another minute to satisfy us both.

Success meter (1-3): 3



Anyone know how long pickled ginger lasts?

These little bowls I purchased years ago because they were too cute to pass up, are being used quite extensively cooking through this book.



To see other possible variations of this recipe, 
visit the sites of my fellow bloggers.

You will not find the recipe here on my blog or within the Wok Wednesdays community. We encourage readers to go and purchase this book at their local independent bookstore or on-line.



8 comments:

  1. I´m with you, green beans should be crisp! Even though there´s no recipe, the layout of ingredients sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, nice photos. I left the beans crunchy as well. I liked them, but come to think of it, it did require a lot of chomping...but rather them be crunchy than soggy, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love green beans and even more the title of the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your butcher; your photos are just beautiful and I am envious of the little glass bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fantastic! I make a similar dish but without the pickled ginger...such a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, Thank you for introducing me to this cook book that I reserved and am picking up from my library today. If the recipes are as appealing as this one, I might join you for Wok Wednesdays.Your butchers a cute guy and you will always have fun with that pork memory! A very nice post and those beans look gorgeous enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks wonderful! My partner has celiac disease and he just bought The Gluten-Free Asian Cookbook by Laura Russell and I'm looking forward to trying some of those recipes, now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just received my cookbook from Amazon. Am looking forward to WW's.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.