Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Wok Wednesdays | Hakka-Style Stir-Fried Shrimp and Vegetables

WW wokking thru Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge
by Grace Young





This stir-fry is chok full of vegetables (my kind of dish!) and according to Grace, only a modest amount (by Western standards) of shrimp - a half pound - this to serve two to three people. However, I found the amount of shrimp to be just perfect. I would add more cabbage next time though, for I like cabbage.


 Mise en place.

Bowl 1: Garlic
Bowl 2: Carrot
Bowl 3: Shrimp
Bowl 4: Napa cabbage
Bowl 5: Broccoli, cauliflower
Bowl 6: Salt, white pepper
Bowl 7: Carrot water
Bowl 8: Carrot water, cornstarch


The carrots are first soaked in cold water for one hour before stir-frying; this, it is said, makes for a crisper carrot. The left over carrot water was also used in the stir-fry to add a little sweetness.

I was surprised how much flavor this dish had, with the only seasonings being salt, pepper, and garlic. Granted it had over a tablespoon of garlic! - that along with a little wok hei, made for a simple and tasty stir-fry.


We have been asked not to post the recipes here on our blog. If you would like the recipe, you will find it on page 175, of  Stir-Frying to the Sky's Edge, which you can purchase at your local bookstore or find it at your local library. I highly recommend purchasing the book - you won't be disappointed.

3 comments:

  1. You have inspired me! I'm making this this weekend for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen. You can't go wrong with a ton of fresh vegetables!

      Delete
  2. Sounds good - and I hope shallot works well on place of the garlic. I have some shrimp (just about 1/2 pound) that I want to use, and also a chunk of Savoy cabbage. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.