Friday, April 18, 2014

Book 112: The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook | Grilled Fish Sandwiches

Compiled and Edited by Julie Fisher Gunter




The weather has been nice, and the Mr. loves to barbeque. My original plan was to grill burgers for dinner - then I went and had a ball-tip sandwich (they are sooo good) from Kinders for lunch; there went my dinner plans.

To the bookshelf I went - pulled this book out and looked up barbeque in the index. This recipe caught my eye. I hate to admit it, but I used to (many, many years ago) love the fish sandwiches from the local fast-food joint (I think it was Burger King). I know, I know... I did say used to. :)



Before grilling, the fish is marinated for an hour, in a mixture made up of scallions, garlic, olive oil, white wine, lemon juice, salt and pepper.


The fish is then grilled for about fifteen minutes (depending on the thickness of your fish) and placed on a toasted kaiser roll (I used wheat kaiser rolls), that is spread with tarter sauce, then topped with red onion, lettuce, and tomato.


I'm sure I don't need to say it... but I'm going to anyway... these are way better than the fast-food restaurant sandwiches I used to eat. The Mr., he thought they were good, but wasn't gaga over them.  I'm sure he would have preferred the beef burgers I original planned for dinner instead. 

Barbeque weather has just began.. plenty of time for burgers. :)





Grilled Fish Sandwiches
Serves 4

4 scallions, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup dry white wine
2 Tbl. lemon juice
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 lb. amberjack fillets, grouper fillets, or other firm white fish (½-inch thick)
4 kaiser rolls, split
4 green leaf lettuce leaves
1 large tomato, sliced
4 thin slices red onion
¼ cup tartar sauce

Sauté scallions and garlic in hot olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat until tender. Stir in wine and next 3 ingredients; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat, and cool completely.

Cut fish into 4 pieces; place in a heavy-duty, Ziploc bag or shallow dish. Pour wine mixture over fish. Seal or cover, and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour; turning once.

Remove fillets from marinade, discarding marinade. Grill fillets, covered with grill lid, over medium coals (300°F to 350°F) 6-8 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily.

To serve, butter and toast rolls, if desired. Spread rolls with tartar sauce, and top with fillet, lettuce, tomato, and onion.



Southern Living Cookbook/Oxmoor House





5 comments:

  1. Now you've got me coveting a new cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these sound fantastic. And great for Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful little sandwich you created. Love fish sandwiches! Looks delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grilled fish sandwich looks phenomenal. I think Bill would be hankering for beef, too :/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, grilled fish sounds wonderful to me - I am sure that the marinade imparted the fish with a great flavor - lots of vegetables, a nice tartar sauce and wholewheat kaiser rolls - what more could one ask for?!
    How very nice to see the CCC badge on your blog! I am thrilled that you are cooking along with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.