Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Book Ninety-Three: On Rice

by Rick Rodgers



Lentil and Swiss Chard Stew


I have made a few recipes from this book, and one recipe in particular I have made multiple times - and I was going to make it again for this post!

I had a few extra minutes so I sat and browsed through this book again; as I was flipping through the pages this recipe caught my eye and I thought it sounded tasty, and it would be something new. Boy am I glad I went with this one. It's good - and good for you!

I went to my local market and the Swiss chard looked pitiful - so off I went to Whole Foods (aka whole paycheck - my grandmother always said, "you get what you pay for" - that is always in the back of my mind and oh so true in this instance.) Not only did the chard look absolutely wonderful, but they also had the rainbow chard, which I always think is so beautiful - so that's what I went with.

I had a hard time resisting the urge to add more broth at the end - this is supposed to be a stew, not a soup. Still, next time, I may add just a little more...

The stew had such wonderful flavor. I'm wondering if it was the freshly dried bay leaf I used; I'll have to make this again with a regular store-bought bay leaf to see if there is much of a difference.

Take my word for it - this is good.
 
Success meter (1-3):













-->
Lentil and Swiss Chard Stew
Serves 4-6

Serve with rice; preferably basmati rice.

¼ pound Swiss chard, well rinsed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 medium celery ribs with leaves, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces (1 generous cup) dried lentils
3 cups vegetable broth
¾ teaspoon dried rosemary
¾ teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more as needed
1 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
¾ teaspoons salt, or more as needed

1.     Cut off the stems of the Swiss chard leaves and cut crosswise into ½-inch thick pieces. Set aside. Cut the leaves crosswise into ½-inch wide strips. Set aside separately from the stems.
2.     In a Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the Swiss chard stems, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic. Cover and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lentils.
3.     Add the vegetable broth, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in the wine, tomato paste, and salt. Cook, covered, until the lentils are tender, about 15 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Discard the bay leaf.
4.     Spoon the rice into individual soup bowls and top with lentil stew. Serve immediately.



On Rice/Rick Rodgers




1 comment:

  1. Cathleen, I adore the multiple colored veggies you used - who can resist this swiss chard, it looks so fresh. I ususally have a hard time finding the colorful one and most often have to settle for the white one. Lentils, different veggies and rice, it all looks very delicious and healthy and presented so nicely. Looks like a great recipe to me!
    Have a good Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.