Saturday, September 15, 2012

Book Eighty-Nine: RAW The UNcook Book

by Juliano with Erika Lenkert

Butternut Squash Soup

I am far from becoming a vegetarian - I like my chicken and occasional burger. I purchased this book because the cover intrigued me; however I apparently did not look at it too closely while in the bookstore.

Not only are there ingredients I am unfamiliar with, which I'm sure if I ventured into a health food store I could make myself familiar with them; but I do not have the desire to sprout my own seeds, beans and grains, or purchase equipment needed to eat "raw" food - such as a dehydrator, juicer, or a power blender such as a Vitamix or Blendtech. Though I really would like a Blendtech or Vitamix...

I decided on this soup in that, it called for ordinary ingredients that can be purchased at the local market. No special trip to a specialty store, and no sprouting of any kind! And this was ready in a flash! A huge plus in my book.

I have a tendency to lean towards the unusual, and this was interesting to say the least. This has good flavor amazingly; if only I had a power blender it would have had a smoother consistency. I used my Cuisinart, and so the soup had a texture similar to the feel of grated carrot. This was not a bad thing mind you; just the picture in the book has a very creamy, dreamy look to it.

This was good.

Success meter (1-3): 3









Yeah... this was good.

Dessert! :)

Butternut Squash Soup
Serves 4

For Soup:

3 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 mango, cubed
2 tsp. curry
4 cups orange juice
½ cup honey or dates (I used dates)

For Garnish:

1 plantain or banana, sliced (I used banana)
½ cup chopped mint (I omitted)
A pinch of minced jalapeño
1 mango, seeded, peeled, and diced

In a blender, combine the butternut squash, mango, curry, orange juice, and honey or dates and blend until creamy. Garnish with plantain or banana slices, mint, jalapeño, and mango.

Serve immediately after blending.



Raw the UNcook Book/Juliano

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Would love to hear from you - feel free to comment.